One of the main problems of CBD oil today is its consumer misuse. People tend to switch over to CBD oil in treating epilepsy without proper knowledge on what they are doing, and the consequences are not admirable. Not knowing the proper dosage and the correct CBD oil product to buy can display side effects or no effects at all.
While CBD oil is regarded as one of the best alternative treatments for epilepsy, without proper knowledge about it, consumers can’t fully maximize its potential. In today’s topic, we will discuss the correct theoretical dosage of CBD for epilepsy, as well as the Food and Drug Administration approved pharmaceutical CBD, Epidiolex.
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a chemical compound present in the cannabis plant, also known as marijuana or cannabis. CBD is the second most prevalent of the active compounds found in cannabis. There are more than 100 chemical components (cannabinoids) found in the plant.
CBD can also be found in the hemp plant, which is a variation of the cannabis plant and is known to have low THC. The two chemical compounds may have a lot in common, but CBD does not have psychoactive effects like THC.
What is the dosing of CBD for Epilepsy and Seizures Treatment?
The dosage of CBD oil should be unique for each person since no epilepsy case is alike. Still, there are limited resources about proper CBD oil dosage.
- For children using a 100mg/ml CBD with 5mg/ml THC (0.5%):
- 1 ml a day is the safe threshold.
- Dosage can be increased by 0.5-1 mg/kg/day every two weeks, rounding to the nearest 10 mg, assuming there are no side effects.
- For adults and children who weigh more than 50kg (low dose) using a 100mg/ml CBD with 5 mg/ml THC (0.5%):
- 25 mg twice a day
- Dosage may be increased every two weeks by 25 mg.
- The target dosage is 300 mg, assuming there are no side effects.
- Children aged two years old below;
- Patients that are sensitive to medicine;
- Patients who are taking several medicines as well as concomitant seizure medications.
They should start at a lower dose and gradually increase the dosage.
What is Epidiolex?
Epidiolex is a brand-name CBD prescription drug. It is used to treat seizures caused by two forms of epilepsy: Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet Syndrome. These are rare, and severe conditions usually appear in early childhood or infancy.
It comes as a liquid solution that’s taken by mouth. It is also approved for use in adults and children ages two and older.
Epidiolex was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in June 2018. It was the first drug approved to treat Dravet syndrome.
Epidiolex can reduce the number of seizures in people taking the medicine. In clinical studies, most people were taking Epidiolex in combination with at least two other epilepsy medications. The studies showed that:
- People with Dravet syndrome who were taking Epidiolex had 26 percent fewer seizures than people not taking Epidiolex.
- People with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome who were taking Epidiolex had 20 percent to 25 percent fewer seizures that people not taking Epidiolex.